Sunday, December 14, 2008

Rainman

Sunday. Today. It was raining the entire day. Lovely weather to sleep in and snuggle under your blanket. But instead, I was outdoor in the naked rain - for nearly five excruciating hours save for a lunch in between. Had the rain started when i just stepped out of home, things would have been different.

After lunch, the rain was still beating relentlessly. It's the sort which you take one look and you know instinctively that it would go on for another eternity. Fat chance of the rain stopping anytime soon. So we finally braced ourselves to continue the journey. I was driven by only one overriding concern: to get home soonest and have a hot bath!

Home, however, was a good 40+ km away.

I can't remember if ever there was a time i was exposed in the rain for so long, seriously. When we rode out from Changi Village, I wasn't just trembling - that's too mild to describe my condition - I was shaking. The rain was hardhitting, the wind was swirling and the cold was envelopng. My arms, torso, hands, fingers - they started to shake like spasms which I couldn't suppress. I let out a Whooooo Wheeeeee every few seconds when i started to shake uncontrollably. Not too long after, I did the only thing that could make me warmer and alleviate my uncontrollable shaking: I picked up speed and surged forward along the coastal stretch. Ironically, while I was mentally and physically battling the cold, I thought this was just the training that i need to push myself to cycle faster.

By the time i reached home, i had transformed into a Rainman. Having been exposed for some 5 hours in the rain - torrential at some point in time - i was amazed that i survived at all and did not get pneumonia!
What an overwhelming showers of blessing for my Comeback Ride. It can only get better from here!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

As it turned out, yr "Rainman" ride was merely a precursor to the real deal... :)

k