Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Tuesday, 30 June 2009



Came out of meeting to be greeted by nice little big cupcake hidden in the pristine box. It was past 2pm and I hadn't had lunch. JP had left this on my desk, with a note that bears his trademark wit. I don't have the note now, but it goes something like this: 'i know this is not quite the cupcake from Jones, but you see i can't travel that far.' Nice one there, but the post-it could have been a better one to do justice to the words, you know. ;p But thanks, it's a pocket of surprise that brought a smile to me. By the way, the cupcake's huge.



Always notice and pay attention to details around you. Lovely things and surprises may just be round the corner, or laying somewhere waiting to be discovered. They cost nothing and pay good happiness dividends. Like this evening scene at 7pm that drew my gaze as i walked back to office from the toilet. The soft rays were peeking out of the mushroom clouds and the patch of red hinted of sunset, even as i looked at this from the inside of a concrete building in the midst of an urban jungle.

(In case you are wondering, no, I don't carry my camera when i go to pee. Don't say you imagine that's possible; that's NOT. I just quickly grabbed my camera out from the office. Oh, and the circular light, that's a reflection of the corridor light.)



Sometimes after work, I don't like to return home immediately, just to break the routine of everyday drudgery: wake up; go to work; knock off; go back home; go to bed. (For that matter, im still up at 2am writing this.) This being Little Red Dot with Little Night Life, there aren't that many places to go. I took the train down, alighted at Orchard Road, swung into the mall that was going to shut down, then inevitably concluded my sojourn at Borders.

Again, look around you, take pause for there're always things to see. I saw Ion Orchard, its intricate, dazzling lights sparkling and shimmering. I don't like big shopping malls (more in terms of patronising them), but I have to concede that Ion Orchard might just bring or return the sparkle to Orchard Road. This place is the shopping district, so it doesn't matter if another mall is added. For the brief interlude, i let the shimmering lights bedazzle me. Ah yes, that word that the marketing guys use, bedazzle. This being a Tuesday night, it helps that the crowd is absent. That afforded me some quiet.



I turned the corner, then noticed that there will be another connector soon enough, surely. Another point of connect that adds to the network and labyrinth of passages to allow seamless flow of Gen X, Y and Z. After innumerous brave attempts, I finally captured the moving words ION. Done. Now it's time to cross that most certainly well-used junction by pedestrains, over to the site of ION Orchard. A capsule, ion-like structure lay before me, and I walked right into it, down the escalator into the central node of Little Red Dot's Shopping district. The story ends here.

0 comments: