Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Food for Cold



On the last day of our trip when we finally had some free time in the evening, we decided to give dinner at the hotel a miss (the food's terrible). I could tell YH wasn't particularly enthusiastic about eating out because (1) his stomach doesn't take kindly to street/unclean food and (2) he was tired. So, dodgy eateries and streetside food are out. We had to find a decent restaurant.

After buying some stuff for a friend and haggling over prices, I was finally done with my obligatory duty to said friend in Singapore. We walked the street for a while before we managed to get a cab. I asked the driver to send us to the only place that i know, which was where I stayed at the last time. That area is where all the shopping malls are, so we can't go wrong.

Even before we decided where to have our dinner, I was already thinking of having hotpot, which is one hell of an excellent comfort to indulge in when the weather is freezing cold. In my mind I could only think of the sizzling soup and sliced beef, mushrooms and assorted vegetables, beancurd, vermicelli and other food all mixed in the broth. It reminds me of the hotpot I had in Shanghai in November last year, the wonderful feeling of tucking into hot food on the 2nd storey of a shophouse. The air was chilly outside, but we were all warmly seated in the shophouse.

Anyway, suffice it to say that we had hotpot in the end! The restaurant was huge and we had to take a queue number, but it was worth the wait. I can only think of this local word to describe the feeling of having hotpot when the temperature outside is low and the winds are chilly: Shiok!


We couldn't recall ever having seen such thin slices of beef in Singapore


Assorted Yummy Mushrooms!!


Yuan Yang-based soup - very thick with lots of herbs.
(And I'm feeling hungry now!)


Cold beer to go with Hotpot: Absolutely to die for

2 comments:

jg said...

who is yh and what does he do?

transit inn said...

don't think u wd know him. he founded an IT-related start-up. And look where I am now compared to him!! Haha.