Tuesday, January 05, 2010

ScrabbleliciouS



The last few minutes of 2009 shall be remembered for the scramble to a certain house in Bukit Timah to pick up Scrabble and other assorted board games, and then fervently praying that I would not have to celebrate the new year in a car with T or, worse, while we are rushing from the carpark to jw's home. That would have been, well, pathetic. We did manage to dash into the apartment in time, and even had a few minutes before the fireworks began - on the screen, of course. Instead of sparkling champange or wine, we had pokka green tea to toast to a new year.

The first few hours of 2010 would be remembered for a mind-boggling session over forming English words, short and long, common or never seen before. I also learnt a new word - the first in a year that had just barely begun: Tufa. It sounds suspiciously fraud but, yes, there is such a word. Henceforth my vocabulary expanded by one more word - within the first two hours of 2010.

Scrabble can be an intense game. No, change that to - Scrabble IS an intense game. Or as my friends would likely say, yours truly takes forever to make his move and, going by rumours, need the help of women to compete (those treacherous gossipers!). I was one Man pitted against 3 pairs of brains. I put up a brave fight, but was defeated still in the end, no thanks in part to Mr Z and Ms Q which are notoriously known to be difficult to rid of. One of them cost me negative 10 points, which is negative ten too costly. By the end of the game, nearly two hours later, I was brain dazed.

But scrabble is a lot of fun. In fact, Cal & Sab played scrabble for 12 hours while in transit during their honeymoon. I don't know how they did that, man. It must have been many rounds because Sab the strategist and analyst must have easily killed off Cal!

Untill the next game, I shall endeavour to unravel more Tufa-esqe words and unleash them at the battle. Hear my war cry, Scrabblelicious!!!

0 comments: