Sunday, January 02, 2011

lalang paradise



On the first day of twenty-eleven, I found my lalang land paradise - in Singapore. It was an exhilarating find, because I never thought I would come across a significant lalang patch on our urban island.

I first developed a liking for lalang after I started cycling in Malaysia. Over there, one could cycle down an infinity stretch flanked by lalang fields. Against the backdrop of a pastel blue sky, the scene is always welcoming and lovely. There is an inexplicable feeling of joy at seeing the lalang field whose beauty I could not quite articulate. But Eugene, the ever wise and clear-sighted one, put it eloquently when he told me that lalang is like nature, it takes its own form. And that perhaps epitomises its beauty: swaying to whichever direction the wind blows, it exhibits a free spirit, uninhibited and carefree, dancing in the wild. Isn't that the raw beauty of life?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi could I find out where you came across this lalang field??

transit inn said...

It's somewhere in Punggol near the yacht/sailing cenre. It's actually a rather small patch by the river, though the area has a lot more sporadic lalang growth which would probably soon give away to urban developments.