Saturday, June 24, 2006

I ran

I shouldn't be surprised to find a new running route in my neighbourhood today, for it's very rarely that i go for a jog. In fact, it's quite an achievement for me to go running twice in the span of three days. Not because the guilt and envy of seeing joggers so often when i'm outside finally prompted me into action - no, it's something more practical, inevitable, dreadful even: It's the IPPT that i would need to clear in the next two weeks. Sian.

Nevertheless, i quite enjoyed the run this evening. At the very least, or so i imagined, my fitness has not dropped to the level which the army would frown upon. I wasn't panting breathlessly, nor did i find myself wanting to slow down or stop altogether during the run. The brilliant evening was highly conducive for jogging, and because it was an industrial - and deserted - area i was running through, plus the fact that it was quite late, i was the only jogger around.

I was running on a track next to a canal, and i continued running as long as the path ahead of me doesn't end. It didn't bother me how far and where the running track would take me to; i just kept going, savouring the quietude of the surroundings (there were few people but plenty of trees; and the sky's gradually turning darker) which i've never before come across, and enjoying the experience of running on a completely new route, knowing that the next time i run the feeling will be no more.

It's always like this: once you become familiar with a route and the surronding features, there is a somewhat inevitable reduction in the sense of pleasure you get from running the second, third time and so on. The activity simply becomes repetitive. I am not one who is motivated to run for the sake of running alone; i need some form of motivation, and the sights and sounds that greet me while running, allow me to actually enjoy the run, which otherwise would be just a boring exercise. Ironically, to enjoy running one would have to do it often enough, because this would improve one's cardiovascular endurance, making the run 'easier' and less tiring. But, as with many things, making that first step and keeping the momentum thereafter proves to be the hardest. It's not surprising athletes are individuals who exercise tremendous self-discipline.

That's why yours truly isn't an athlete, and will never ever become one. heh.

0 comments: