Thursday, December 14, 2006

All (three) in a day

ONE. The train slowed to a halt as it pulled into the station. Then the doors opened, and people filled up the empty spaces like atomic particles rushing to occupy a vacuum that's suddenly opened up.

I looked up from my seat and instantly, I recognised the lady. She was one of the first to enter the train, no doubt because she must have waited at the edge of the platform where she would be able to enter first. Quick and determined, she moved quickly towards the centre of the carriage and stood with her stocky frame firmly before me. Within a few seconds, whilst some people were still inching their way in at the doors, she had already taken out her book - a chinese romantic novel, it seemed, the type that has words running from top to bottom, right to left - and continued where she had last finished.

At the next station, the person seated to my left alighted, and she moved to occupy the seat. Nothing special or unusual about the lady, just that this encounter had occurred the day before, exactly as it had happened today. On two consecutive mornings, i was to meet the same lady who stood before me, then sat next to me after my neighbour alighted, and on the same side of me to boot. I wonder if she had noticed the young man next to her was the same person she stood in front of and then sat next to in two days.

TWO. Lunchtime. We took a cab to Bugis Junction for lunch. I was mildly surprised at bumping into her (my secondary school classmate) and even more surprised that she was in casual clothes more suited for wearing at home. But that still wasn't the most surprising thing.

"Aren't you working today?" I asked.

"Oh, I had my wedding banquet here (Hotel Continental) yesterday," she smiled.

"You were here for a wedding banquet yesterday?" I queried, not sure if i heard the right thing, but no doubt sounding very silly.

She smiled even more cheerfully, then repeated somewhat more slowly, "I had my wedding banquet here yesterday."

My eyes widened as I offered my hand to congratulate her. It was an afternoon like any other day. But today I met a former classmate, same age as me, who just tied the knots yesterday, and is now a wife of somebody. Of course she's not the only person of my age who I knew has renounced her single status. But it was nevertheless a huge surprise to meet a friend who's newly married just a day ago. I was introduced to her husband - a fine young chap who spots an honest, well-mannered look. My friend had just deposited what must be a generous sum of ang pow money received the night before. For she was all smiles throughout our conversation.

THREE. On the train, again. I - seated down, again. The train doors opened, and a familiar figure moved past me towards the centre of the carriage. I slapped her hand lightly; she turned and greeted me with a surprised look.

"See, it's fate that we have to meet this week," I happily remarked. (Val wasn't able to join the group of us for dinner on Sat.)

I was tired but happy to catch up with her for the rest of the journey.

So much for coincidence. All in a day.

0 comments: