Sunday, November 04, 2007

Gem




I'm half-way through the book and already I am slowing down in a bid to delay its inevitable end. This is definitely one book that is worth every cent spent.

With its manga-esque plot and narration, I relish every line, the vivid details, the colourful descriptions and witty humour. Here's an example:

'The first thing I see on the menu he gives me is this: ALL ORDERS IN ITALIAN. Underneath is a pronunciation dictionary and instructions on Italian etiquette.

'Desiderate?
Initially the waitress scores highly on the Kasane Scale, but I soon downgrade her. Lissom voice and ankles to die for, but way too condescending. 
'Spaghetti with squid ink and shredded seaweed,' I tell her. An old fave. 
She corrects me. 'Spaghetti al nero di seppia?
'Whatever spin you want to put on it.' 
She shakes her head and puts thumb to index in front of her lips when she speaks: 'Spa-ghe-tti al ne-ro di se-ppi-a. Spa-ghe-tti al ne-ro di se-ppi-a.
She gets my seldom seen 'you are obnoxious' smile. 
'Thanks for the free lesson,' I say with a sigh, 'but i'm really not interested in taking part.' In anything. Ever. 'Oh, and a bottle of Chianti.' 
'Chianti! Buono, signore. Spaghetti al nero di seppia e una bottiglia di Chianti,' and those fautless ankles carry the rest of her away.

0 comments: