Sunday, October 14, 2007

Border-ed no more

I finally succumbed.

Tempted to get hold of the book Escape from Amsterdam, I decided to sign up for Borders' Preferred Card. I'd toyed with the idea for a long time but each time I came close to signing up, I would somehow manage to hold back. Not this time.

Yes, I had to pay for the card which cost me more than the amount I would save for the purchase. But the savings (an amount substantial enough to tempt me) coupled with my eagerness to get the book led me to that irrevocable decision. Besides, these two certainly won't be the last books I am getting from Borders. I must say those people running a book business knows more than a thing or two about working their way into a book lover's heart - and his wallet.

So that's it, I'm ditching Kinokuniya for Borders, even though Kino definitely has a greater selection of titles. Borders' offer of 30% discount simply proves irresitable. Maybe i should never have gone on board their mailing list after all.

Escape from Amsterdam: I'd read about the book in the Sunday Times. It was named the best book or something by the journalist. The plot and the author's writing style seemed something that I would enjoy. So I went down to the bookstore to browse the book (no, i didn't buy it the first time), and decided I like what I read. Only one thing was lacking then: discount. Then I received an email from Borders, and the newspapers also advertised the promotion (which is only for this weekend). The rest, as they say, is history.

A Wild Sheep Chase: This was also mentioned in the book review. You know, advertisers and book reviewers theses days would, at the end of their review, footnote other books which you are likely to like if you enjoyed the one that was being reviewed. Yes, I readily admit that I happily lapped it up.

Truth be told, the recommendation merely gave me an impetus to buy another Murakami's book. For I am currently reading one of his books, and I know for sure this one won't be a disappointing read.

Although Murakami's books are so prominently displayed in the bookstores, I never picked up one until 1-0 introduced me to his works. Like what critics and others say, Murakami's fictional world is alluring. Taut and rhythmic, his novel reads like a piece of enchanting music. It's not an euphoric feeling one gets from reading his stories, but a sense of surreality that is oftentimes melancholy.

I am reading his collection of short stories now, and with the end of each story, it leaves you yearning for more. Perhaps this is why for the moment I'm taking my time with the book. I don't want to finish reading it so quickly.

4 comments:

AdrC said...

Good good then next time when i need to go buy books at borders i know who to look for!!!

transit inn said...

I shall draw commission :)
E card only entitles u 10% discount. It's when they send promotional mailers where u get to enjoy 20% + 10% discount that's realllyyy goody gd!

Anonymous said...

did i tell you could borrow it from me (from my coll) last time? i just looked and it's actually been sitting in my wallet the entire time. i'm so slack at returning things. ha ha ha. okay happy shopping and borders. and you know who to call! (even if the past couple of times haven't quite worked out!)

transit inn said...

u mean u STILL have ur coll's card? why on earth did he get tt in the 1st place. And u dare say, i asked u out couple of times already lor. heh - will ask u if im in the area :)