Friday, December 28, 2007

Collision Avoidance Failure

'Collision Avoidance Algorithm.' I have no idea what the heck this is, except that it is something that Josh is working on currently. Oh, and that there is alliteration.

"I had a bad week. I made an error last week and had to do the same thing again this week," he explained. It wasn't any punishment; probably some calculation error, which meant he had to repeat a process all over again.

Still, I couldn't contain my silly grin and remarked: 'So you can prevent a collision of whhaaat?'

I have a tendency to laugh at what engineers do or what gets them excited, if only because a) their work often seem extraordinarily boring, at least to lay people like me; and b) the jargon they use in their work is so unfathomable they become fodder for jokes and satire.

I laugh, but I also know what they do ain't just any sort of work that others could do (not that others would like to do anyway). Back in school days, my engineer friends would similarly laugh at the theories and seeming inpracticality of arts subjects. While they are adept with figures, diagrams and formulas, arts people - not all - are perhaps more comfortable with words and ideas - stuff that can hardly be stripped down to equations or figures.

His eyes wide open, Josh shared enthusiastically with me: 'I heard about this: Two guys were laying bricks. One of them says he's building bricks; the other says he is building a castle. Inspiring!'

'Oh, he's building (sand) castle in the air alright.' I shot back immediately, half-joking and smiling.

I just have to do it. Collision avoidance failed. Red alert! Red alert!

0 comments: