Saturday, February 23, 2008

online affair

So much of our life seems to be conducted online now. In the virtual world, that is.

I've procrastinated for so long, but somehow tonight i simply went through my mailbox and opened up emails that i wanted to reply but haven't got down to doing for the longest time. So i replied to Irene who's in Australia, who last emailed me in October. I replied to JG, that lucky guy who's probably enjoying his time in UK now. And i replied to KV, my university friend whom I've not met and spoken with for nearly a year.

Out of spontaniety, I emailed 1-0, whom i bumped into earlier, tried *coughing* unsuccessfully by her side to catch her attention, only to have her colleague/friend prompt her - 'your friend' - before walking thoughtfully away. I know i can always expect a response from her in the shortest time, for she's always efficient and thoughtful and prompt.

I also finally created a Facebook account, though i suspect it's going to be neglected, for i ain't actively 'adding' contacts. But like everyone else, i presume, I also ploughed through friends' friends' and their friends' friends' profiles, in the hope of spotting someone familiar. So I came across secondary school classmates, JC classmates, army friends, friends of friends whom I know but never ever spoke to. There's a certain sense of surreal connection in coming across these people who at some point in your life, have crossed paths with you.

And maybe our paths will cross again. But this time not in the classroom or on campus, not in army barracks or along corridors. This time it's online. Through words and pictures that flash on the inanimate box staring at you right this moment.

[After note: Right after posting this, i refreshed my mailbox and, voila, Ms Super Efficient 1-0 has replied my email. Hats off to her!]

0 comments: