Monday, April 28, 2008

Cheers.



Glasses clinked, conversations flowed freely, there was incessant laughter amid the banter. I recall it was a squarish table we sat at, an ideal setting for after-dinner talk, for everyone was within sight and earshot of one another.

I was reminded of some American dramas that I've watched, where a family or group of friends would sit around at a large table, engaging one another in a spontaneous, lively exchange of ideas, usually over or after a meal. The image of a vibrant interchange of ideas amongst a group of people always attracted me, perhaps because it's not in our culture to talk spontaneously in a large group setting.

The topics discussed shifted almost naturally, with hardly anyone realising their transition. Jokes were cracked - mostly by JM who could turn a line into a story - opinions contested, memories recalled.

I allowed myself to go with the flow, adding something or replying only occasionally, mostly because each time there was always someone doing the talking.

And when I'm not talking, I was the odd, impolite guy fiddling with his camera, seemingly uninterested, finding interesting angles and taking pictures - like the one above.

0 comments: