Friday, November 11, 2005

Grow up

I told Irene this evening (this evening being a few days ago) that i am constantly distracted and can't get settled to do my work seriously. Her response was immediate: 'Grow up!'

Unbelievable as that may seem, I'm afraid she was telling the truth. If I can't muster the self-discipline that all adults need to exercise to organise their lives, I'm not far different from the recalcitrant kid who lacks focus and needs an adult to enforce discipline on him. The person who can't concentrate on his work has only himself to blame, not the many distractions that everyone is confronted with everyday. I watch too much TV, write too many emails, muse too much about impractical things (Irene rightly describes me as being too 'dreamy') and get too little work done. In the end, this only shows how much discipline I lack. And if I may add, this probably also sets me apart from others who are doing well - those who have a vision and a goal, and the drive and focus to achieving them.

I am not whining here. I am aware how increasingly inept i've become, lacking the discipline a student needs to mug through endless amounts of school work. Every other reason that I come up with just seems to come across as a poor excuse. So i've stopped making excuses. I hope things will become better - and for that to happen, i would first have to finish my final essay for the semester.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay! hahaha. i was just about to blog about *MY* lack of discipline. so i feel much better already *grin* -10-

transit inn said...

haha. U shdn't be feeling comforted coz there's no way my lack of discipline can compare with yours! =)