Tuesday, November 29, 2005

My tom yang diarrhoea friend

There was some precious few minutes left before the doors of the examination hall would open. I saw a decent space not faraway from where i stood and decided that i shall settle for it. Sitting down rather than standing around would be far better for me to absorb whatever final notes i still could. Approaching there, however, i caught sight of someone slouching on the ground, his back slumped against the drab concrete wall. Unmistakably, that was Mr Teoks: he was almost half-lying on the ground, though, unlike me, he didn't have any notes in his hands.

I went over next to him and exclaimed mockingly (but very mildly), "someone looks very prepared and full of confidence yah." To which he was quick to retort: "this is called Can't Be Bothered." I sat down next to him, and for that precious few minutes thereafter, he kinda ruined my last ditch attempt to finish reading the copious amounts of notes in my hands. I shall blame him for my bad results.

We didn't make any plans to meet up after the paper but nevertheless, we had dinner together at Holland V. ( I found out that the carpark that was still in construction when i last went there is now in operation.) This being the end of a traumatic period of being entrapped in the terrifying place called school library, we both were in agreement that we could do with some good food to nourish ourselves. But the thing is, both of us being very hawker-centre kind of people, we ain't have any idea where is a good place to dine. And both of us also being very sui bian kind of people (as in anything goes for us or accomodating), we spent a lot of time discussing what would be the most judicious decision for post-exam dinner. And so, from one end of holland v we walked right to the other end before turning and walking down the same path back. Along the way, we saw an apparently new restuarant that is offering pasta for a mere $2.99. That makes us seriously wonder what the size of the serving would be.

I wanted to go on and write about how many other stops and hesistations and considerations we made before we finally settled for Thai Express, but i am too tired to go on. It would be as long as the time we took to walk round the entire Holland V before finally walking into Thai Express. By which time, we had already become two miserable, famished students.

I don't know if ever laksa is served without any noodles or, more specifically, whether Thai laksa is served with or without noodles. I wouldn't have questioned this until Teoks asked me that. He wanted to order one of the laksa dishes but did not do so in the end, because we wanted Tom Yam seafood soup. The soup turned out to be the best dish for our dinner because it was really authentic - sweet, sour and spicy, and without the oiliness that characterises most local versions of tom yam soup. Then came yet another comment from Teoks which rather amuses me: "I think i will have diarrhoea later because that's what always happens to me after eating my tom yam cup noodles." I did not hesistate to correct his gross misjudgement: "Hello, this is genuine tom yam soup alright; those that got you your diarrhoea, they are fake!"

Besides that, during and after the dinner, i took his very-slim camera (which he always brings along with him) to take some random pictures. I reminded him later via sms to send me the photos and it elicited this friendly sms reply from him: "Yup ill post it in a month or two dun worry." I was too polite to heap my curses on him.

I must say dinner was good. There wasn't any haste to get things done, the food was decent, and the service (always an important factor) was pleasing.
Lovely.

0 comments: