Monday, September 04, 2006

Solo ride to Lim Chu Kang

There was a scheduled ride this morning but i did not go. Something happened last weekend which saw two of us in disagreement with another guy. The incident could almost qualify as a quarrel except that I, being the pacifist sort of person, did my best to reason and explain my point of view, instead of merely arguing defensively. Tempers were high, no doubt; but i always believe that being angry wouldn't help solve anything. Even when one thinks that the fault clearly lies with others, one should make an effort to put oneself in others' shoes and understand why and how much each other's opinions differ. In the end i told my friend that there was a gap in expectations between us, though i doubt he very much bought that.

I didn't go for today's ride in part because i didn't know who else would turn up and it would be rather awkward if there were just the three of us. Still, i really wanted to ride - for Sunday morning rides have become routinised into my weekly schedule. I decided to head out alone and enjoy a relaxing morning ride myself. Well, it did turn out to be a pleasant one.

There was no pressure to get up very early, so I got out of bed around 8a.m. and dilly-dallied before finally leaving home at 845 a.m. Instead of cycling to the central-north and making a loop back to the West, which is usually the route for Sunday rides, i decided to go in the reverse direction and make a shorter loop. I brought my camera too.
I cycled down the vast and quiet Lim Chu Kang Road and turned into Neo Tiew Road. This time round, i decided to cycle into every minor lane to explore the area. My grandparents used to live somewhere in this area where they had houses on either sides of the narrow road. One part of it in fact served as some sort of warehouse for my aunt and uncle's garment business. Then the government relocated all the residences and now, all that's left are rehabilitated agri-farms and the like. Apart from these neat rows of farms, the area is mainly covered by greenery - grasses, shrubs, trees. Not much to see, yes, but one appreciates the scenery and quiet of the surroundings. My only fear was the stray dogs that roam the area. There was one which lay lanquorously in the middle of a road that was quite far in from the main road. I suppose that's a sign which says, 'Scram, this is MY territory'. I heeded the imaginary warning and steered clear of the road.


As i cycled on, i saw a group of scouts trudging along the side of the road. It was a very familiar sight, for i was once wearing the uniform, including that ubiquotous red scarf which i rather disliked putting on. Those guys look no older than 15 years old and all had a weary look on their faces. That's not surprising, for if i were in this god-forsaken place wearing a uniform and carrying a large bag walking under a hot sun, i wouldn't be looking excited either. But i'm sure there's learning value in their little expedition, and if they've got the right company for the journey, hiking can be very fun. Go, guys!

I came out to Neo Tiew Road, saw the Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve sign, then made another left turn into the lane. I feel rather embarrassed that i've not been to Sungei Buloh, for i believe it is a tourist attraction and definitely one that is authentic and worthwhile to visit. But i, a citizen of this land, have never been there before. What a shame.
I reached the entrance but didn't go in, not because i didn't want to pay the $1 entrance charge for adults, but because i wasn't properly attired and had nowhere to keep my bike. So i just loitered around the entrance area. And boy, were there things to see. I told myself there and then, 'i'm definitely coming here some day - inside, not just the entrance.'

Below: View of Kranji Way. Our neighbour up north is in full view from the beach.

0 comments: