Thursday, September 14, 2006

A soupy late afternoon

I've passed by The Soup Spoon at Raffles City many times and, always, it is having brisk business. I would look at the customers enviously, thinking in my mind how delicious their soup, served in respectably big-sized bowls, must be. All of them seem to be enjoying their meals anyway, oblivious to the curious glances of many a passer-by, who must have at a later time also decided to patronize the restaurant. And every customer, I noticed, seem to be having a glass of iced-lemon tea besides their soup dish. The iced tea must be damn good, I thought.

Well, I finally tasted the Soup experience myself on Tuesday where I was, at that fine moment when I made my orders and sat down, their only customer. It was four plus, that awkward period between afternoon tea and knock-off time, so the restaurants were relatively empty of customers. I had deliberated for a while before finally deciding to make a little splurge just to savour the experience of dining at The Soup Spoon. And I must say it was a good experience. I ordered meatless minestrone and upgraded it to a combo that comes with a half wrap and a choice of iced tea or salad (and something else which I can’t remember). Of course I had to order the iced tea (it was ok), though by then I had already realized why most of their customers always have an iced-tea in addition to the soup. The minestrone soup consists of a generous amount of ingredients (celery, potato, red date, etc) and was tasty, while the half wrap (cajun fish) was crispy and just as delightful.

Such an off-peak period like this is just the perfect moment to enjoy soup and tea over a chat with friends. It’s not noisy as there are few people around, and the easy-going music that is being played provides the right mix of ambience under the soft lighting. Unfortunately, precisely because it is an off-peak period, there are few people in the city area who can afford the time to lounge at restaurants. Two men who seated themselves at a table away from me were business executives having a discussion, and it was not until nearly 45 minutes later, when their meeting presumably had ended, that they ordered food. Further away, a couple in JC uniform were having dinner.

As for me, I spent the late afternoon like a freewheeling bourgeoisie when in fact I’m a disguised proletariat who isn’t even contributing to the capitalist economy, damned! It was pleasurable though (isn’t a bourgeoisie’s life so?), for I indulged in my novel in between sipping mouthfuls of minestrone soup. Occasionally I would be distracted by the movement of people around the area. Nevertheless, it was a very peaceful and, I daresay, enviable afternoon reading a good novel in a crowd-free restaurant that serves light, delectable fare.

Yummyful!

0 comments: