Saturday, October 27, 2007

As luck would have it

The same situation last week repeated exactly this morning.

The sky was dark and the morning sun nowhere to be seen. Walking towards the train station, I wolfed down my bread and banana while my eyes scanned the cheerless sky. On one end the sky was already overcome by what looked like clouds of the stormy kind; the other side was slightly better but not much.

I was neither disappointed nor hopeful; more like resigned. Still I hastened my steps as I did not want to be late.
U
As the East-bound train slid along past the familiar landscape I’m so used to seeing, it became obvious that a storm was imminent. But I was calm (or indifferent?).

After a few sms and calls, Jon and I decided to call off the run. EY wasn’t particularly convinced though; he said the sky from where he could see looked bright. Maybe it’s the optimist in him, or maybe he’s determined to run this morning, but I’ve to say he’s got poor judgement. As far as my eyes could see, it’s going to pour buckets anytime soon; there’s no sun to speak of.

Nevertheless, I made the trip down to Kallang MRT since I was already halfway through the journey. The moment I stepped out of the station and looked into the sky, I could hear the first rumblings of thunder.

I think EY heard that too. A short moment later, I received a sms from him.

‘Goddamn sky. I am heading home.’

He needs that battle cry to be fully convinced, it seemed.

For the second time in two weekends, I made a fruitless trip to Kallang, then headed to office, had Yakun for breakfast while the pattering rain fell outside. And I woke up at 6:20am for all of this.

That’s a bit too much for my weary body from a week of work.

0 comments: