Wednesday, October 31, 2007

pouring rain

I choose to see that I was lucky.

It was past midnight, and I was on my way home from work on the train, just two stops away from alighting.

Then I noticed, quite unexpectedly and suddenly, that it was pouring outside. And I do mean it was really pouring: the rain was beating harshly on the window panes, and you could tell from its direction that the wind was powerful.

I was indifferent though. I continued reading my magazine.

Methinks I was lucky because this was one of those rare days when i actually carried an umbrella in my bag. And it so happened that, though i was in jeans and shoes, I had a pair of sandals and shorts in my bag (I was supposed to go for dragon-boat training - the final and only chance I had - though in the end work cropped up and I didn't make it).

Seeing as it is how heavy the rain was, I changed into my shorts, kept my shoes and wore my sandals. Thank goodness I didn't have to bear with wet socks (my shoes are almost permeable) and water splashing on my jeans!

Listening to music from my MP3 player, I began to walk out of the station, holding my umbrella and clutching my bag close to my chest. There were few cars on the road; the street was almost desolate. I walked on, careful to avoid the puddles of water that collected on the ground. For once I didn't mind the rain. Or maybe I was too brain-dead to mind anything.

0 comments: