Thursday, January 10, 2008

A bookish habit

‘You know, you could actually borrow all your books from the library,’ said K, as he averted his gaze from my sight, as though fearing that his suggestion might be interpreted as an accusation.

Of course he must have felt that way – lawyers can’t do better at hiding their intentions, can they? (This is the moment to cue the Big Wide Grin.)

We were having coffee at Yakun, and the topic of books came along, because I knew that he knew that I was reading Love in the Time of Cholera (which I've finished by now). It was a fantastic book, we both agreed.

Inevitably, my habit of buying books was brought up, and I remarked that I must stop buying more books until I finish the many half-read, unread ones in my possession.

That’s when he made the absolutely sensible comment that I could get the books I want from the library. In fact, he made the remark twice, perhaps unaware himself. (Now, lawyers tend to repeat themselves to give emphasis to their points, don’t they? Cue: Another grin.)

I felt guilty, but I remarked, almost incoherently, that it’s different for people who like books. (As if book lovers do not include the large number of diligent library users who borrow books frequently!)

My reasons for not preferring to borrow books and desiring to buy books are like two sides of the same coin. Borrow from library: I almost always can’t get the books I want, i don’t like to and can’t be bothered to make a reservation, and I like to take my time to read my books. Buy a book: I can find the book that I want, I can get it as and when I fancy, and I can take unhurried pleasure to read my book.

I should qualify, though, that it is not just any books that I buy. I try to determine that it would be a book that I like, that it is a book worth having because I may read it again or revisit some of the words, sentences or ideas it contains, if not for reference purposes, then for the simple fact that i enjoy perusing them again. Oh, and did i mention that i get my books (which aren't that many really) at enormously discounted prices?

Janadas Devan had a piece in The Sunday Times (Jan 6, 2008, p. 33) which expressed very well the sentiments of those who love books:
For the truth is I’m a book addict as well as a reading addict. I like books as physical objects – the fresh smell of new books, the musty smell of old ones; the feel of soft calf-leather binding, the look of a well-produced trade paperback; the texture of battered old copies, picked up at second-hand bookshops, heavily scored by their previous owners; books I have inherited from my father, filled with his marginalia. If my library were destroyed by fire tomorrow, I would weep.

But the chief reason is I adore books, the physical objects – the printed words, on paper, between covers. People like me will soon be antique, together with our books.
My sentiments exactly.

0 comments: