Tuesday, January 22, 2008

In conversation with...

I was in a particularly good mood this morning because i had a good night catching up with Eug yesterday. Spotting a healthy tan that he got from his recent cycling trip in NZ, he was telling me about his trip over dinner. When he asked how long was it that I've not cycled, I replied rather embarrassingly: almost half a year, i think.

Then, in a bid to justify my lack of cycling, I added for good measure: I don't really like cycling in Singapore; it's always the same route; i'd rather cycle in M'sia, anytime.

Well, my excuse was somewhat proven valid when he ventured that he's also grown tired of cycling in Spore. 'It's boring', he said. But of course, he could say that and get away with it - he just finished cycling for some 21 days in NZ; Singapore roads are so obviously incomparable to that in spacious NZ, not to mention what must be awesome views of the landscape!

I realise, speaking with Eug brings out the best (of manners, speech etc) in me. (Not that i'm not in my best always or that my best is so bad!) Coz he's such a gentleman, he speaks good and proper English - no slang, vulgarity or anything - and he speaks thoughtfully and is a man of purpose and wisdom. I thus have to hold up to his standard, lah. And oh yes, he refers to his wife as 'my wife', which he says so respectfully and makes singles like me feel so estranged. haha!

As we both work in the same sector, i could express my opinions and talk about things which would otherwise not make sense to or interest others. Like how we dislike doing minutes, our philosophy towards work, how people skills/EQ matter more than hard skills, how i've grown disillusioned with the system, among others. For once i could talk about things and feel that they are not irrelevant comments.

Interestingly, he shared with me that there are two schools of thought with regard to work: one is that you work very hard to meet all the deadlines; the other school believes that you should not meet all your deadlines, so that the system can identify and then rectify the imbalance; that is, your boss will pick up the signals, know that things are not working and make adjustments accordingly.

I never put it down to these two schools of thought but after hearing it, i do think that there are many people whose working mode resemble or conform to the two descriptions. I probably come close to the first, but i think i am making a conscious effort to move into the second.

In any case, i ain't going into any analysis. I've had a good conversation over dinner with Eug, and as is always the case when you speak with someone more experienced, i've gained from his wisdom. This reflective point aside, of course it had to be good catching up with a friend. That's why i was in a good mood this morning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you forget - you cycled to supper, and wii, and from wii to home! ha ha. not half a year ago, my friend.

and on the topic of books and movies, the jane austen book club is GOOOOD. i'm going to get the book now (with the 4 books or more 40% + 10% voucher!)

transit inn said...

Haha. Im having a bad day at work. In fact, many bad days.

Your msg kind of cracked me up. =)

Noooooo....when i mean cycling, i don't mean cycling to supper, even though yes, i did a bit of cycling.

40% voucher only for Borders at ParkWay Parade right. That's goddamn far.

Oh, You can get the book and i can borrow from you after that. ;)

Anonymous said...

yea but there is another 40% (+10% for card) when you buy 4 or more.

ya sure. we can book swap. when i'm done. i'm so sloow with these things! (still finishing my picoult from early-07?)

cheer up, old friend, a good break is just around the corner.