Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Solace

I find some degree of solace when I write. I hesitate to say blog because in my opinion, that is the tool I use to write. Since the day computers and internet technology became integrated to our lives, I have not been able to pen my thoughts on paper; I have to type. Regardless, it is still about writing, which is a thinking process that helps distill one's thoughts. When you write, you are forced to make coherent your incoherent and messy thoughts. You are forced to plough through the jungle of ideas and weed out the distractions, the unimportant; and then to discern and articulate the significant and purposeful. The product - your writing - is an outcome of that process.

I find solace because writing helps me attain clarity and gain perspective, not to mention the fun one gets in constructing words for dramatic effect (this is writing for another purpose). Perhaps it is for this reason that when I am upset or confused, there is a greater inclination to come online and blog, even if it is convenient to do so only in the wee hours when I should really be in bed.

I am doing some serious thinking these two days, coming after a hectic week that was fun, insightful and tired all at once. I had gone up the flyer where I saw the glowing cityscape under the night sky and thought the trip was all worthwhile. We were screaming in the capsule, and the cityline and highways below looked really beautiful from above. That's when I wished the flyer would stop so the moment could freeze. I could just keep staring below and see the moving cars and criss-crossing network of roads.




I also visited the ACM to view the ongoing Kangxi Emperor exhibition. I was never a bright history student, but i continue to be fascinated and excited by history. One doesn't have to always look to the future for possiblities. The past showed what possiblities there existed. I also malu-ed myself by insisting that my friend have a piece of Lim Chee Guan Bak Kwa, which was so tasty, as always, only to recall later that he is Muslim Chinese, and so can't take Bak Kwa. What a horrible blunder, and thank god he insisted to decline, otherwise i would have been a sinner.


A lot more funny incidents took place. Now they all reside in the repository that is my memory. I don't know where else i could park them under, hence i looked to here to deposit some. And to find some solace while doing so.



0 comments: