Thursday, March 18, 2010

Breakfast at Tiffany's

What would a good start on a weekday be like for you? If each day were a story waiting to unfold, the morning the opening scene, afternoon the development, night the closing - how would you like to write yours, and who do you want to cast in it? Will there be a climax, or will it be uneventful? Nobody wants to read about uneventful stuff. Will it have a happy ending, or a sad one? Happy endings give a feel-good vibe, most people would want it, no? And if your story were but a chapter of a book, then does it not make your life a book, your everyday a chapter of a book-in-making? Then it begs the question of what makes a good book, and therefore a good life? JW quoted and told me this of his book: My life's an open book, just don't expect me to read out to you. I wish to say of mine: My life's an open book too, just don't expect to find it easily. Perhaps when we all find our books, we will find some pages missing, some turned yellow, some we wished torn and removed. But the plot's already developed, things have happened. Which perhaps leaves us to do the more logical thing: to write the rest of the book the way we want. That's what they say, live a life of no regrets. Be the author of your chapters, write your own book. And maybe it will come to the point where not only is yours an open book, but you yearn to read out your story to others, at least to those who are interested to hear it.

Strange why I wrote this. All it took was Breakfast at Tiffany's to send me into a fleeting moment of felicity. I was on the train this morning, and I thought the best way to start your day is to hear a terrific song that sweeps you off the ground when you least expect it. Call it the opening music to the day's story; it's got to be upbeat, inspiring. Music can have that effect.

And I like to suggest that to sustain the happy shot, you might want to consider topping it off with a breakfast set of half-boiled eggs, toast bread and tea.

I did. Today.

0 comments: