Sunday, March 07, 2010

Hey Bob

When it comes to introducing myself to foreigners and non-chinese, I've taken to mispronouncing my name just so to make it, hopefully, easier for others to address me. I do not have a Christian name, and one of the characters in my first name cannot be pronounced in English phonetics. So it is often a challenge for others to pronounce my name, more so to remember it.

Even when I speak on the phone, there have been times when others somehow (mis)heard my name. Once it was 'Richard'. Another time it was - gasp - 'Rachel'. My name seems to have other English variations, I found out.

Just the other day, a newly known friend, after asking for my name again, said tongue-in-cheek: 'Can we give you another name? Like Bob or something.'

Right, Bob.

4 comments:

J.W. said...

I think you make a great Bob my friend! Cheers!

transit inn said...

Haha. Bob's just so american sounding. And every fibre of my body is un-bob! bob bob bob. bad. ;)

Anonymous said...

10: i can't imagine you being a bob. that also makes u sound like a haircut. maybe something like "wayne" to have some resemblance to your name...hahaa. or if you want.."kew"..(though that's supposed to be a girl's name i think).

transit inn said...

I also say. No Bob, no Bob. My present name is enough. ;0