Saturday, April 23, 2011

Not quite Cupid



Saturday dinner was Chinese food with JpW and SM. Only two weeks ago, I received a sms from JpW after midnight informing his good friends that he's proposed, and SM has accepted his proposal. Over dinner, I managed to find out more about their uneventful proposal - nothing fanciful, just a simple affair between themselves.

I am happy for both of them. In one of the mysterious ways that life works, I have a somewhat small hand to play in bringing them together more than a year ago. No, I didn't introduce them to each other; neither did I play cupid by trying to bring them together. In fact, it was JpW who, out of the blue, noticed SM and became kind of romantically interested.

My small role was this: as a neutral and, if I may say, credible friend to each of them, I joined them for dinner at their first meeting. Thereafter, they went out on dates. SM then did not know JpW well and was suspicious when he suddenly asked her out for dinner. Knowing that I hang out with JpW, she put a condition to meeting him - that I join both of them. While I was reluctant to go along, I relented at the persuasion of JpW.

The dinner went well in the end (we dined at a restaurant in Duxton), we had a pleasant evening, and I could tell both of them were equals to each other. One funny moment that could have come out of a scene in a movie was when either of them went to the restroom during our after-dinner drinks. While one was away, I would be giving my 'sound advice' and responding to the other's queries, especially SM's. She was in doubt that JpW was genuinely interested in her, though I certainly think that she must have secretly relished the idea that she's being pursued.

Both of them are intelligent and highly eloquent, and it wasn't before long when SM reciprocated JpW's love. Along the way, I did my fair share of brother duty by allaying the fears of SM and singing not a few praises - all honest and candid - of JpW. I could see them getting along with each other really well: one who is romantically blinded, the other waiting to be romantically bound.

The rest, as they say, is history. I began to see less of JpW as his social life soon became SM, and he her social life. The three of us would meet up for dinner and tea now and then, though admittedly I am usually the one who's unavailable and could not meet.

Their engagement and marriage was a foregone conclusion long ago, seeing as it is how they enjoyed each other's company. JpW was moreover a most devoted and loving boyfriend to SM, there's little doubt that SM's happiness is in safe hands.

Come twenty twelve, I would witness their happy matrimony, and I know they will enjoy each other's companionship as they make the remaining journey in life together. Congratulations again, JpW and SM!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely Cupid story... :P It's been a while since I surfed your blog. Glad to be on again! :) - val

transit inn said...

And I am surprised that you visited! Here's where I lurk around to keep my sanity.

Hope your work's coming along fine & there ain't any separation anxiety. ;p