Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tang Yuan, I like!



Since I discovered this particular shop near my office selling glutinous rice balls, or tang yuan, I have been eating their tang yuan far too many times than I care to remember. I usually have them as dessert after dinner, to sweeten what would usually have been a lousy day.

It's true that one doesn't need to have a lot of money or material comforts in life to enjoy a bit of pleasure every now and then. You just need to have the right attitude and, literally, a healthy appetite for simple pleasures - like eating these colourful riceballs. This sort of rice balls - small and plain, without any fillings - is very easy to make but not many places sell them. Its appeal to me could just as well be the reason for its lack of popularity - they are plain, filled with no exciting ingredients such as peanut or sesame paste.

Yet, I love them and am happy to eat them anytime. They are springy and colourful, sweet and tasty after being cooked in sweet broth for a period of time. Mum usually makes these rice balls once a year during winter solstice, or Dong Zhi. I never fail to finish the last scoop and devour every available rice ball. You bet I will be hopping by the store soon again to have another round of happy tang yuan. :)

0 comments: