Monday, November 07, 2011

Space and Solitude #4: Recharge

About three weeks ago, I spent a bit of Me time at what I thought was a perfect sanctuary to recharge and spend some quiet time alone. It all started with my having obtained an extended leave at the last minute. I wanted to get away from everything that's familiar and which consumes my energy and even my soul. The sensible thing to do is to travel: go to a foreign place, journey by yourself.

I did travel a bit previously but it was mostly for work. Unlike my peers who could jet off pretty frequently for weekend feasting in say Kuala Lumpur or diving at some nearby islands, I could ill afford the time for leisure travel. The tragic truth is that weekends had become time to catch up with work. When I do have to travel for work - mostly to attend some meetings or programmes - my exhaustion level would peak because of the inevitable mad rush. The record I had set thus far: I worked till 7 plus in the evening once, flew out of office to flag a cab and scooted home, started packing for (or rather, throwing) whatever I needed for the trip only then, and was out of home within an hour heading for the airport to catch a red-eye flight. (The thing is, when your schedule changes, you have to work it round the schedule and clockwork of the rest of the world, for the world is not going to change its pace and schedule to accommodate yours.)

Despite the stress and exhaustion, I do relish the opportunity to travel for work. Notwithstanding having a legitimate reason to be out of office, the things that I enjoy are the same reason why travel is an effective antidote to clearing one's mind of tedium and stress. I like being in the cab travelling from this end of the island to the other end where the airport is. After having done a mental check on the things I had to bring and settle, the Me time begins during the local commuting. Slumped in the air-conditioned interior of the cab whose meter keeps rising by the minute, this is probably the first time since the mad rush began that I am able to catch some rest. But my mind would be restless, my droopy eyes scanning the city that slips past the cab while random thoughts would be floating through my mind.

After checking in at the airport, I generally like to take my time at the transit area. It's the next significant chunk of time I have to be freely wondering about things, enjoying a coffee somewhere and watching the business of air travel unfolding before my eyes. One moment a family of five with kids could be queuing up to buy their last local Singaporean fare; the next moment a business traveller might be seen at the lounge area discussing a deal with his partner. But rarely would you see a majority of businessmen, those decked out in well-pressed shirts and big coats, for these are the seasoned travellers whose time equates with money; they appear just in time before the gate closes instead of lingering in a place where they've grown accustomed to spending so much time of their life moving through.

My latest travel, an overnight getaway, however did not involve taking the airport or taking the plane. Being so last minute, I couldn't get any cheap air ticket so I ditched my plans to chill out at Koh Samui. I was about to scoot off to Bintan before a chance discovery made me change my tentative plans. Within the next 24 hours I was transported by ferry and then a minivan to a hidden balinese-like gem in Batam where the world is nowhere at my footsteps. In place of urban noise and incessant chatter and crowds was a tiny oasis of peace filled with the calming sounds of running water and soothing plants. Within minutes of arriving at this secluded place, I made up my mind that I like it and would be back again if I had the time. It's a little costly for one person (this place is catered to couple crowds) but the peace and quiet that you enjoy makes it a good deal. The place has nothing else except its comfortable spa and chalet rooms to offer - perfect for the tired soul who is not looking for action but craves quiet and tranquility. Again, it was a weekday so there were few guests and that spared me the fate of meeting more of my countrymen. After a three-hour spa and a spendid nasi padang lunch, I spent my time mostly doing nothing or reading my books and watching some DVDs half-interestedly. For me, this is as prefect as it can get for a short getaway to chill and rejuvenate.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey the place looks good! Never thought there wlll be such a place in Batam!(it's always the boring Harris or Holiday Inn)

So what is the name of this place? =p probably i can plan some surprise thingy for mr chong!


XY

transit inn said...

tell me how u find it if you do plan something for mr chong and head there. it's a little gem to get away and just chill and do nothing. very relaxing.