Saturday, May 10, 2008

The morning I saw a rainbow



The weather was cool this morning and though the sky was overcast, I was hopeful that the clouds won't unleash its power.

No such luck.

The rain came on after we got past the congestion at Kranji Loop. Kenneth was ahead of me from the get-go, and I was careful not to lag far behind him. Cycling towards Kranji Dam, I could feel the rain gathering strength as decisive droplets pelted on my exposed arms. Soon enough, the droplets hit me with relentless force and in larger quantity. Did the rain get heavier, or were we just cycling into heavier rain?

That's when I saw it - the rainbow. We were rolling across Kranji Dam and I was focused on cycling, barely paying attention to the surroundings. Of course, it was impossible to miss the endless sky that loomed above. I first noticed the portentous clouds that had swallowed the Saturday morning sky. I hardly needed any reminding that I was in for a soaking experience. Only moments ago, i was shouting against the whooshing headwind to Kenneth: 'We are cycling into the rain!'

It was when we got to Kranji Dam that we saw the rainbow - its full, wondrously curving entirety, so serenely yet incongruously perched against the stormy sky. I was so excited that I shouted again to Kenneth in front: 'Look! Rainbow!'

Anyone who's seen a rainbow before - especially during or after inclement weather - must surely experience a sense of cheerful hope. It's a beautiful phenonmenon that is an apt metaphor for hope - an array of colours justaposed with cheerless gloom.

The rainbow that we saw this morning appeared just as we braced ourselves for the torrents that were going to descend on us shortly. It was a sight to behold because the rainbow was spread nearly as far as the two ends of the sky within our sight, forming an amazing arch that was so extensive it left me in awe. For a moment, it didn't matter that I was cycling in the rain.

The brevity of a rainbow's existence is one reason why it's special. I didn't know when the rainbow disappeared, for it wasn't long before the trees along the narrow Neo Tiew Road blocked the view of the sky. In any case, once past Kranji dam, I was battling the fierely pelting rain and had no mind to think about other things.

I suffered much discomfort because the needle-like raindrops were hitting my glasses and eyes with such intensity that made keeping my eyes open a challenge. Throughout the whole Neo Tiew stretch, my mind was half-preoccupied with trying to keep my eyes open to see the road ahead. The other half-preoccupation: entertaining thoughts about soaking-wet shoes.

Yes, it's not exactly a priority concern. It's trivial and silly even. But hell, ever since army days, I can't stand wearing shoes that contain swooshing water. It means socks completely wet. This in turn means great discomfort of a disgusting level.

So while my eyes were struggling to stay open - at times the best I could do was a slit - I was thinking of my shoes that were rising and falling in tandem with my pedalling. At first I consientiously avoided puddles. Then, thoughts of minimising the wetness of my shoes quickly gave way to thoughts of delaying my shoes getting completely wet. It was like how the slight drizzle swung to the other end that is the torrential rain: it's just a matter of time. One's will and foolish hope surely were naught when pitted against Providence.

Like a defeated soldier who had nothing else to lose and could not get any worse, I subsequently surged forth with wild abandon, not bothering to avoid or slow down when cycling across puddles. Seeing the white of Kenneth's jersey stained with lines of black, i consoled (and smugly congratualated) myself for my judicious decision to wear the blue jersey today.

The downpour only eased somewhat when we reached the open part of Lim Chu Kang Road where we turned into Old Lim Chu Kang Road. From Neo Tiew to Lim Chu Kang, only about 4 cyclists passed us by in the opposite direction. A few other cyclists had taken shelter at the bus-stops. The ever-friendly Kenneth would wave at them when he cycled past.

By the time I reached home I had covered 70km - my longest ride this year so far and a good progress. Most importantly, i feel more confident about next week's ride. Can't wait for Saturday to come!




The rain left its mark all over my bike. :( Took me some time to give my bike a good scrub after that. Photo at the top: After the clean-up :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well done great ride! I on the other hand, did a miserly 25km along coastal... but i managed to stay (mostly) dry... ;p

enjoy yr bintan escapade! methinks you shld get a 5mp camera-phone. :)

k

transit inn said...

one of these days i shall head east and do coastal. haha ;)

im getting more n more satisfied with my fat camera. the swivel LCD screen and 12x zoom are wonders that a 5mp camera-phone and other cameras don't have which i will miss!